Foodie Search Engine

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Fried Green Tomato BLT



I came across these beautiful green tomatoes in the market just the other day. Never before have I had the pleasure to cook with them, so I was eager at the challenge to make something delicious. The first thing that came to mind was a classic fried green tomato and BLT. I am big fan of an occasional BLT, especially with Avocado. This Fried Green Tomato BLT is heavily breaded and served as the bun. Layered with basil mayo, lettuce, and smoked bacon. As they say here in Hawaii, it's ono kine grindz!
Just for the record, I wouldn't say this is the healthiest dish I have ever made. However, no ones perfect. A healthy diet always has room for a little rebellion.

Fried Green Tomato BLT

2-3 large Green Tomatoes
1 cup cup plain bread crumbs
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 eggs
1/4 cup low fat milk
salt & pepper
8 slices lean bacon or turkey bacon
4 leaves Green leaf lettuce, rinsed
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 tablespoon basil pesto
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped

Prepare basil mayo by mixing mayonnaise, basil pesto, and fresh basil. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
Slice tomatoes 1/2 inch thick, 8 slices total. Season sliced tomatoes with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk and set aside. In another bowl, combine bread crumbs and flour, set aside.
In a large skillet, cook bacon until brown and crispy. Reserve bacon grease for frying tomatoes.
Dip each tomato slice in egg, then coat in bread crumb mixture. Repeat once more for a heavily breaded tomato, after all this is going to be your bun. Cook breaded tomatoes in greased frying pan over medium heat until golden brown on both sides. Set fried tomatoes onto brown paper bag, or paper towels to absorb grease.
Assemble sandwich using the fried green tomatoes as the bun. Spread with basil mayo, top with 2 slices of bacon per sandwich and leaf lettuce. Enjoy!

Serves 4



2 comments:

JoeTacoma said...

This looks great!!!

Kelly said...

Wow, That looks so good....I think my mouth is watering. How did you go from great cook to AMAZING! And your writing your own recipes! This is truly one of your gifts Abby. I want to try this recipe out myself but I'm afraid I'll find a way to ruin it.